Being open-minded, my family listened to most forms of music. Not until much later, however, did I begin to appreciate funk or hip-hop. Present boyfriend also enjoys variety. He has the ability to name several classical composers and almost all blues, soul, rap performers and songs without hesitation, genres where I'm lacking. So, when in the car together we often do our own version of the iconic game show (which launched Kathy Lee Johnson Gifford, for better or worse), "Name That Tune," trying to identify classical and more current composers and titles. Let me iterate that when watching the above game show I have disturbing memories of contestants naming popular hits, most of which were by white performers, the latest incarnation I recall ran during the 1970s and early 80s, with disco emerging as a front-runner alongside pop and soft rock and a sprinkle of funk and soul.
Arguably, because of its Western roots, many have dismissed the music of Bach, Beethoven and Brahms, e.g., for being too "white." I argue that with any art form, people often gravitate to the music they heard as children and more likely, teenagers, for peer pressure sways many to admit to following the latest band or performers.
When an adult, we have the choice to welcome listening to alternate forms of music or not. I do try and have succeeded in part: I ask those readers who shake off classical music as passe or irritating if they have listened to all of the greats, I'd bet not. Here' a sampling of one of my favorites, Mahler's Symphony No. 5, 4th movement, "Adagietto": https://youtu.be/CFQQsu6VBYA
When an adult, we have the choice to welcome listening to alternate forms of music or not. I do try and have succeeded in part: I ask those readers who shake off classical music as passe or irritating if they have listened to all of the greats, I'd bet not. Here' a sampling of one of my favorites, Mahler's Symphony No. 5, 4th movement, "Adagietto": https://youtu.be/CFQQsu6VBYA
Stacks of c.d.s sit in a cupboard waiting to be played, but they can't replace live performances or the joy of remembrance when the Cape's classical station plays a piece that I can identify, as my love and I listen to the radio. For nostalgia brings re-connection with a family since lost or gone, and sharing with my soul-mate, and the world, priceless.

No comments:
Post a Comment