Copyright 2015 Wendy Shreve
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
When I find a feather on the ground, I not only ask myself from which bird did the feather fall but also, why? Often I can't answer the second question unless I've seen the action myself. The confrontations, particularly between smaller birds and larger ones, fascinate, to the point where I'll be that passenger in a car who'd yell,"Did you see that?" I'll have seen two or more sparrows chasing off a crow, e.g. Friends say that with my eagle eyes, forgive the unintentional alliterative pun, I can spot and identify several species within seconds of espying them at long distances.
I've kept a secret well-hidden until today: I'm not an amateur or professional bird watcher. Don't wish to be. Others may savor walking around our tick-infested woods, binoculars slung around their necks and ears on the ready to hear a distinctive, high-pitched bird song. Aural identification will never be a preference. And binocular technique is for quickdraws.
No, whether sitting on a bench or running neighborhood errands I use built-in long distance vision, a.k.a. my eyes. In my books, many avian events either in descriptive narrative or discussed by characters are based on empirical observation. Of course, imagination comes into play when writing certain scenes--the paranormal element can go either way--but I try to stay as authentic as possible, including the disturbing moment I recounted in last week's post. I had actually seen the crow's brutal death and received corroboration via phone from a friend who looked up the raptor to confirm its identity. Then, I remind myself I write preternatural fiction.
When you watch a seagull hovering over a bay because it has noticed a tiny ripple on the surface, a sign dinner may be ready to be plucked, think about the drama that's about to play out; put yourself in the role of the predator and/or the prey. And if you find a feather on the ground, don't assume the bird has shed the feather--for a writer that quill becomes the instrument to a world of possibilities.
| Others had their eyes on the whale ( I do love Humpbacks) but I couldn't ignore the seagull feeding frenzy. {Copyright 2015 Wendy Shreve}
Want more? For an author bio, more about my stories and reviews go to: www.shadowwater.net Or, buy books, Shadowwater & Dark Sea, Shadowwater II at your local indie bookstore. Also available via Amazon, Barnes&Noble, Smashwords or other on-line retail providers.
|
No comments:
Post a Comment