Saturday, January 18, 2014

How I Loathe "What Is Your Favorite. . ?"

Scan Twitter, Facebook, dating sites, questionnaires, talks shows, interviews and end-of-the-year posts, and you will discover the omnipresent question, "What Is Your Favorite. . ?" For those who adhere to simple truths, answering that dreaded interrogative doesn't pose a challenge. Whereas I'm an adherent of "gray area" responses when asked my favorite anything, with few exceptions.

AFI (American Film Institute) regularly airs its top 100 movies, in various genres and of all time. If you asked me what my favorite comedy is, for example, I would lose a night's sleep whittling down an answer. That large piece of wood, comprising slivers of multiple comedies I've seen during my lifetime, would never take shape. How could I choose between SOME LIKE IT HOT and SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK? If you were to counter with a decade, such as the forties, I'd have to rebuff your inquiry again. Anything with Grant and Hepburn, Katherine that is, would do. However, if you were to take the geographical route and request the best British comedy, I'd be flummoxed!

For those who prefer the written word, please don't entice me to relay my favorite book. If forced, I'd hone down my choices to late 19th/early 20th century English Literature authored by male writers whose specialty includes natural symbolism, e.g. D.H. Lawrence. But to suggest which of Lawrence's works I love the most, even if limited to prose vs. poetry, I couldn't tell you. More so not to forget female authors, Jane Austen is a close second to Lawrence or Hardy, I respectfully opine. Still, to compare and contrast Austen's works in order to choose a "favorite" story would be an abomination. Intellectuals out there who vehemently disagree with my bold statement, please send me your "favorite" Austen title along with your counterpoint should you feel compelled (no dissertations, please). I would be happy to post your disparate responses.

Moving on to contemporary illustrations, whatever you do, please avoid, "What is your favorite song? or group?" The spectrum of answers is so wide that you would have to filter through hundreds of CDs, I-Tunes and so on to discover my preferred genre, let alone song or group. Now, I'll admit contemporary, late 20th century, "classical" composers don't jive with my listening pleasure, but if there were any category in music that I could provide a definitive preference for, it would be vocalists. Should you wish for specifics, then get out my Alka-Seltzer.

Finally, I will give those who insist on a definitive answer to one "favorite" query--to demonstrate I am not indecisive or obstinate about having any absolutes. I do have one clear-cut choice for favorite beach: Nauset on Cape Cod. Yes, I have been to beaches around the world, and I will not equivocate on that pick!

What's your favorite beach, by the way? Gotcha!


No comments: