No, this
isn’t a blog about religion. Or a treatise against or for following a particular
doctrine. With the rampant cynicism and apathy in our culture, even faith, in
all its incarnations has become muddled. Well, I’m writing to testify that
after decades, when many taught me how to think or preached what faith should
mean, I’ve found the answer—at least for myself. The answer came after examining
the questions I had about self-worth and my place in this rapidly evolving
world. Lessons learned over a lifetime.
First
lesson, being eclectic isn’t a liability; it’s an asset. Having many interests
and studying multiple subjects or ideas doesn’t preclude a person from
achieving success. Some of us are best not finding one path until we’re ready
to walk it. Also, single-mindedness and limited imagination often stifles
vision. In fact, as a writer taking in everything I could has brought a
richness unquantifiable.
Second lesson,
everyone has an answer when they rarely understand the question. Critical
thinking has taken a back seat to reactive opinions. Very few have the patience
for digging deeply into subjects or weighing various positions. And, I can’t
blame them. Scholars have argued in every field about the best approach to many
of the world’s problems. Economists, I studied Economics as an undergraduate,
rarely have agreed upon solutions. The only analyst I listen to is the Federal
Reserve Chair. With all the answers provided across our media culture, we have
little time or energy to investigate if the so-called experts understood the
problem from the beginning.
Third
lesson, not belonging to an established church doesn’t make one a heretic if
the person is catholic, universal. Revering nature and its life energy is inclusive,
not exclusive. Furthermore, returning to practical fundamentals while being
progressive, believing in the power of one to move many and practicing
tolerance are estimable qualities that happen to be endorsed by Pope Francis,
the late Nelson Mandela, the Dalai Lama to name three advocates.
Fourth
lesson learned: a cliché, coined by Polonius in Shakespeare’s Hamlet, “To thine own self be
true.” Admittedly, I’m taking
Shakespeare’s meaning out of context. However, in a modern context, I’ll say
being true to yourself includes loving who you are. Only then as pundits have
reiterated can you give and take love without reservations.
Funny how
no one embossed that idea, “self-love” in my brain with all the exposure I’ve
had to higher education, religion and constant reassurance from others that I
had potential to be a success. Those assurers, including family, stressed
confidence, being yourself, . . . still, no one said, “Love yourself.” My
mother, for instance, believed exaggerated compliments would lead to egotism.
Humility to the point of self-defacement, while always expressing loving
thoughts and encouragement, was my mother’s parenting approach: “You have a
sweet voice but I’m glad you chose not to become a singer,” as if
she were afraid my head would grow into a pumpkin if I believed I had talent. Still,
as a former professional vocalist she may have had a point.
Yet, I
believe my mother and others had the capacity to answer that complex question,
how do you achieve self-love? That is loving yourself can only be learned not
taught. Whitney Houston tragically exemplified this credo as she sang “The Greatest
Love of All” but didn’t practice the message.
The above lessons
have led to the culmination, putting it all together, the lessons and
experiences which comprise who I am today: remaining curious and always
learning; not assuming offered solutions indeed answer the questions; believing
in a greater power which comes from within but is nurtured outwardly by those
who love not hate, and finally discovering
self-love.
Throughout
my life, I’ve kept the idea of “faith” as an intangible. Nothing I could easily
identify though I always knew it existed. I knew a higher power had and continued to
guide me; still I couldn’t see the truth. And then during the last two years my
inner strength and new-found convictions brought happiness which I didn’t
believe possible: true love for the first time, a beloved avocation which has
morphed into a vocation, other passions renewed, and at last, faith in myself.

No comments:
Post a Comment